Friday, December 16, 2011

Just got port-a-fied

I will update this later but. I am out, got the port and they did it with me awake which was interesting to say the least.
Here's a quick pic I snapped.



So that was interesting.  I was expecting to be put under, wake up and have my port.  But apparently, that's not how they do it anymore at St. Luke's.  So basically they shaved my chest, and got me all ready.  Then they give you a half a dozen or more lidocaine shots around your chest and neck.  These SUCK, basically it feels like somewhere between a bee sting and a wasp sting but MUCH deeper.  So they prick the surface then it spreads down into your neck/chest.

Honestly that's really the worst part of the whole thing, they give you several "happy juice" shots into your IV.  The first couple kept my hands from shaking but after the 4th one I was perfectly fine with whatever they wanted to do to my neck!

My Dr was great he talked to me through the whole thing, which was great because it was hard to just sit there while he dug around in my chest for my veins :-P.  There were some uncomfortable moments to be sure, and I can still feel it when I swallow or cough etc which they said was normal.  There is nearly zero swelling and its looking really good.  I will upload a few more pics, as the bandages come off and of course after my first chemo day.  After all the vein poking on my arms over the last few weeks this thing is gonna be my new best friend I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment